Copyright © 2021
At Spotlit, we aim to constantly inspire creativity and promote authentic content
creation. We acknowledge the diversity of our users across various cultural
backgrounds and believe that appropriate and safe use of our platform will encourage
authentic content creation.
out a code of conduct while interacting with our app by setting out what is and what
isn’t permissible while using or otherwise interacting with the app.
These Community Guidelines apply to everyone who uses or otherwise interacts with
the app. We monitor and moderate content published through use of various
technologies as well as personnel input at scale before content is reported to us. We
encourage users to report any content that they believe goes against our Community
We amend these Community Guidelines from time to time. Every time you wish to
use our platform, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that
apply at that time.
You may use our app only for lawful purposes. You may not use our platform:
• In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or
• In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent
purpose or effect.
• For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
• To bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate any person.
• To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which
does not comply with our content standards below.
• To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised
advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation
• To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains
viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware
or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely
affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.You also agree:
• Not to reproduce, duplicate copy or re-sell any part of our platform in
Agreement (if applicable).
• Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
• any part of our platform;
• any equipment or network on which our app is stored;
• any software used in the provision of our platform; or
• any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may from time to time provide interactive services on our platform, including,
• Chat rooms.
• Bulletin boards.
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for
children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our
platform, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation
of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those
risks. However, we are under NO obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any
interactive service we provide on our platform, and we expressly exclude our liability
for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in
contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their
parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive
service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety
online, as moderation is not fool proof. Minors who are using any interactive service
should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
material which anyone contributes to our platform (Contribution), and to any
interactive services associated with it.
You are responsible for your use of the app and for any content you provide including
compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. Any use or reliance on any
content on our platform is at your own risk and neither do we endorse, support, guarantee the completeness or accuracy, truthfulness, of any content or
communications on our platform. You understand that by using the Services you may
be exposed to content that may be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or in some cases
postings that have been mislabelled or otherwise deceptive. We may not monitor the
content posted on our app and we cannot take responsibility for such content.
The Content Standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The
standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole.
SPOTLIT will determine, in its discretion, whether a Contribution breaches the
A Contribution must:
• Be accurate (where it states facts).
• Be genuinely held (where it states opinions).
• Comply with the law applicable in Kenya and in any country from which it is
A Contribution must not:
• Be defamatory of any person.
• Be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
• Bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate.
• Promote sexually explicit material in profile or header images or live platforms.
• Promote non-consensual nudity.
• Include child sexual abuse material.
• Promote violence and violent extremism.
• Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual
orientation or age.
• Promote or display suicide, self-harm and dangerous acts
• Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person.
• Be likely to deceive any person.
• Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty
• Promote any illegal content, activity or certain regulated goods.
• Be in contempt of court.• Be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance,
inconvenience or needless anxiety.
• Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
• Impersonate any person or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any
• Give the impression that the Contribution emanates from SPOTLIT if this is not
• Advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal
act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
• Contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for
believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be,
published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other
inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.
• Contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to other sites.
If you believe your content has been copied in a way that breaches your copyright
rights, kindly report here.
BREACH OF THESE GUIDELINES
When we consider that a breach of this acceptable use Guidelines has occurred, we
may take such action as we deem appropriate.
For some content, we assess whether such content does indeed violate our Guidelines
and protect certain categories of content such as; educational, documentary, scientific,
satirical, fictional settings content, public interest or other artistic basis. For some
content that may be generally shocking or upsetting to the general public- we may
reduce discoverability of the said content. Our reviewer personnel will further age
restrict content that may not be appropriate for all audiences.
Failure to comply with these guidelines constitutes a material breach of the terms of
use upon which you are permitted to use our platform, and may result in our taking all
or any of the following actions:
• Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our app.
• Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Contribution uploaded by
you to our app.
• Issue of a warning to you.
• Legal proceedings in Kenya against you for reimbursement of all costs on an
indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal
costs) resulting from the breach.• Further legal action against you.
• Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably
feel is necessary or as required by the Laws of Kenya.
We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of these
Community Guidelines. The actions we may take are not limited to those described
above, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Kindly report any breach here. Any aggrieved person can contact us here where they
believe that no violation occurred. Repeat violators will have their accounts suspended
or banned. Where justified, we will report the accounts to the relevant legal
We can transfer our rights and obligations under these terms to any third party,
SPOTLIT COMMUNITY GUIDELINES